History of the School
The History of Midwood High School
In 1939, New York City broke ground for Midwood High School across from the recently opened Brooklyn College campus. The school structure was designed by architect Eric Kebbon, the Superintendent of School Buildings, Design and Construction of the Board of Education. The school was built using WPA funds during the height of the Great Depression for a cost of $2,175,000, or roughly $38,621,000 in 2017 dollars.
Midwood was designed with neo-classical and neo-Georgian elements, including a Georgian cupola and Ionic columns. Several other New York City schools were built in this same period and with the same design: Fort Hamilton High School, Jamaica High School, Franklin K. Lane High School, Forest Hills High School, and George Washington High School.
Midwood High School opened on February 3, 1941 to 2,600 students who were drawn from local schools.
In 2008, the Midwood Science Annex, with its large modern library, was opened to students. It is located across Bedford Avenue and is connected by a 2-story glass bridge.